GtkD on Debian and Fedora

The gtkd package on Fedora is independent of any compiler, and just installs shared libraries. Presumably these can be used with ldc2 which is packaged on Fedora.

There is no gtkd package on Debian, but there is one on D-Apt. However this is dependent on DMD. Is there no GtkD on Debian that can be used with ldc2 without compiling onesself?

I think I am just confused why the Fedora package is not dependent on a compiler but the D-Apt one is, and why there is no GtkD in Debian if there is in Fedora.

Re: GtkD on Debian and Fedora

On 01/15/2017 01:05 PM, Russel Winder wrote:

The gtkd package on Fedora is independent of any compiler, and just installs shared libraries. Presumably these can be used with ldc2 which is packaged on Fedora.

There is no gtkd package on Debian, but there is one on D-Apt. However this is dependent on DMD. Is there no GtkD on Debian that can be used with ldc2 without compiling onesself?

I think I am just confused why the Fedora package is not dependent on a compiler but the D-Apt one is, and why there is no GtkD in Debian if there is in Fedora.

I would presume the fedora package doesn't depend on the compiler
because you don't need the compiler to run a gtkd application.

I don't know the packaging policies for the different systems, so it up
to the packagers to do what is appropriate for there system.

For example the Archlinux package only lists the compiler (ldc) as a
build dependency, and you don't need the compiler to install it.

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 22:54:34 +0100, Mike Wey wrote:
[…]

I would presume the fedora package doesn't depend on the compiler
because you don't need the compiler to run a gtkd application.

I don't know the packaging policies for the different systems, so it up
to the packagers to do what is appropriate for there system.

For example the Archlinux package only lists the compiler (ldc) as a
build dependency, and you don't need the compiler to install it.

It seems that everything in D-Apt depends on it's DMD. I have removed that repository from my sources list. I think the next step is to get gtkd into the Debian repository based on it's LDC. Then there is symmetry between Debian and Fedora. And it seems Arch.

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 07:33:34 GMT, Russel Winder wrote:
[…]

It seems that everything in D-Apt depends on it's DMD. I have removed that repository from my sources list. I think the next step is to get gtkd into the Debian repository based on it's LDC. Then there is symmetry between Debian and Fedora. And it seems Arch.

And thus one finds that GtkD is already in the Debian repository based on the LDC in the Debian repository. One is a happy bunny. :-)

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 08:00:05 GMT, Russel Winder wrote:
[…]

And thus one finds that GtkD is already in the Debian repository based on the LDC in the Debian repository. One is a happy bunny. :-)

Except that the versions are a wee bit out of date. Mayhap upstream could prompt downstream to do an update and new package release.

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 08:23:30 GMT, Russel Winder wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 08:00:05 GMT, Russel Winder wrote:
[…]

Except that the versions are a wee bit out of date. Mayhap upstream could prompt downstream to do an update and new package release.

It seems the Debian packagers heard, and have now got 3.5 into Debian. :-)