Ugly Fonts on Windows

Fonts look ugly on Windows with the GtkD. Here is an example image. One can see that the fonts, especially on the letters with curves like c, o, and e, look awful.

I spoke to someone on the #gnome IRC channel about this and he suspects the issue was with the way the Pango runtime is compiled. He said it doesn't support sub-pixel anti-aliasing by default, but that it can be compiled in. Is this correct? Can the GtkD team do anything to fix the issue?

Thank you.

Re: Ugly Fonts on Windows

On 09/07/2013 07:58 PM, Ulrik wrote:

Fonts look ugly on Windows with the GtkD. Here is an example image. One can see that the fonts, especially on the letters with curves like c, o, and e, look awful.

I spoke to someone on the #gnome IRC channel about this and he suspects the issue was with the way the Pango runtime is compiled. He said it doesn't support sub-pixel anti-aliasing by default, but that it can be compiled in. Is this correct? Can the GtkD team do anything to fix the issue?

Thank you.

The pango version included in the installer comes from the opensuse
build system. It does support sub pixel rendering but it isn't
configured by default.

To enable it create a settings.ini file in C:\Program
Files\Gtk-Runtime\etc\gtk-3.0\ (might differ if you installed it in a
different location).

Copy the following into the file:

[Settings]
gtk-xft-antialias = 1
gtk-xft-rgba = rgb

You can also change the default font if needed with:

gtk-font-name = Arial 10

Thank you, so much. That works perfectly. Could those who make the runtime installer include a settings.ini file by default with these options enabled? The fonts look so much better. Was there any reason it was left out?

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 21:02:44 GMT, Ulrik wrote:

Thank you, so much. That works perfectly. Could those who make the runtime installer include a settings.ini file by default with these options enabled? The fonts look so much better. Was there any reason it was left out?

I simply didn't know about this option when i created the installer.