Pages: 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11

Re: The GtkDcoding Blog Post Announcement Post... ing

In 2006, I started a blog on PHP-GTK 2.x that ran for 40 posts before the blog site I was using closed its door. By then, I was caught up in writing Corkboard, the first full-featured application I'd written for my own amusement in nearly 20 years, and so I just let it slip away.

Last year, when I decided to update my knowledge to GTK 3.x, the resources I found were few. Each had a handful of examples and most went overboard, cramming dozens of GTK features into single-app demos. Prying relevant code from such crowded demos isn't my cup of tea, so I decided to write my own.

So, using D as my newly-adopted favourite language, I wrote single-purpose GTK demos for every feature I thought I might find useful for creating cross-platform desktop applications. The idea was to make single-file demos that incorporated no more than absolutely necessary to demonstrate the feature of the day. While I was at it, I made notes as a memory aid so I could re-grasp the details as quickly as possible because I knew it might be months before I got around to using this resource, the idea being to preemptively cut down on wasted time when I did get back to serious coding.

And that's what ended up becoming the GtkD Coding Blog. I was sure I wasn't the only person who would benefit from this, so I bought a domain and set up a schedule to post twice per week.

Coming up on the end of 2019 and quickly approaching the 100th posting, I'm contemplating the future of this blog. Will I continue to post? And if so, will those posts still go up twice per week? Or maybe I'll move on and write the killer screenplay outlining utility I've been mulling over for the last few years. Or maybe I'll finally retire and go power-watch old episodes of Star Trek or something. So many choice!

But the small audience I have managed to attract has given me encouragement, suggestions, and more than a little moral support. I can't tell you how grateful I am for that. And even if I don't continue to post or only post from time to time, I'd like to keep it easy to find (i.e. continue to use the https://gtkdcoding.com domain name).

So if you like the blog and would like it to be available for future reference, please sign up as a sponsor. I've revamped the sponsor tiers so they aren't so scary. (I don't know what I would have done with a $500 sponsor anyway!) You'll be helping me cover costs as well as give me the feeling that it's all been worthwhile.

Thanks,
Ron Tarrant

Readers Peter Pinkness (over on the GtkD Forum) and GreatSam4Sure (the D Forum) requested coverage of some techniques for centering a GTK Window and decorating a Window with a custom icon. That's what today's post is about.

Also, I made an announcement early in the week in the Announce sub-forum which you may or may not have seen.

Today's post was inspired by a reader request, even though it wasn't specifically requested. It's about finding a Window's position and can be found here.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to announce that my posting schedule is changing. Starting today, and for the next while, posts will be made once per week. Other demands on my time during the holidays and for the foreseeable future has made this necessary. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Today, we carry on looking at Window stats and how we can prepare to preserve them. You'll find it here.

Today's post takes a different approach to gathering the same info we've been working with over the last two posts. It's right here.

Today's post starts a new series (note the nifty Airport icon) on hardware. We start with an overview, and then look at monitors. You can find it right here.

If you liked last week's post, this one will knock your socks off. Wanna know (programmatically) which monitor your application window is on? Here's how to find out.

This week's post wraps up the year by looking at how to access keyboard and mouse events through the hardware Seat. You'll find it here.

Have a happy New Year, everybody. May 2020 put things into perspective for us all.

When is a Titlebar not a Titlebar? When it's a HeaderBar.

Today's post starts an examination of the HeaderBar and it's capabilities. You can find it here.

When is a Titlebar not a Titlebar? When it's a HeaderBar.

Today's post starts an examination of the HeaderBar and it's capabilities. You can find it here.

Pages: 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11